Marilyn O’Hearne is a master certified coach, speaker and author of Breaking Free from Bias. Coaching since ’98 and in 28 countries, Marilyn says it is impossible to not work interculturally!
“Awareness of our biases is not enough.” Marilyn will discuss with us her 6-step IMPACT process companies use to break free from bias and boost their bottom line.
This show is for you if you
- want to better understand bias
- experienced or are experiencing bias
- wonder how bias may influence our perception of executive presence
- are responsible for addressing bias in your workplace
During this interview, Marilyn will discuss her six-step IMPACT process to break free from bias and boost the bottom line, understanding that awareness is not enough.
Listen to Marilyn here:
Or Download and Subscribe to Inspired Wisdom on iTunes and Google Play
Highlights from the Show
- Bias defined [4:00]
- Marilyn’s interest in bias started at age 9 [9:15]
- About Breaking Free From Bias [12:00]
- The Impact Model [13:00]
- How cultural norms can impact our behavior and how we are perceived [16:20]
- Leaders and companies can take responsibility to create more safety [17:15]
- Cultural norms can foster unconscious bias [19:00]
- Impact of communication style on perception [21:30]
- Executive Presence – important to clarify your desired results and expectations re: behavior change [22:20]
- Recommendations when you are on the receiving end of Bias [26:00]
- Example of recruiting – in UK they remove the name of schools from the resume [32:00]
- Team exercises to create awareness and empathy around bias: Share stories of when you’ve experienced bias [33:00]
- The biggest challenge in writing and publishing her book [35:00]
- What’s one thing you know now you wish you knew earlier? [37:00]
- Advice to unleash the potential in your workplace [38:00]
- IMPACT Model [40:00]
Bio and Links
Marilyn O’Hearne, MSW, MCC, Author
Marilyn is a master certified coach, speaker and author of Breaking Free from Bias. Her vision is living in a world where all people and organizations have the opportunity to live up to their full potential. Coaching since ’98 and in 28 countries, Marilyn says it is impossible to not work interculturally! She understands the painful consequences of conflict and business losses due to lack of Cultural Intelligence and unconscious bias.
Fascinated with culture and committed to peace since age 9, Marilyn has been coaching United Nations leaders since 2013. Her training and experience include the US, UK and Bali based coaching programs, living in Spain and Brazil and teaching, training, speaking and coaching extensively in the Asia Pacific.
Marilyn served as Adjunct Professor of International Business and Organizational Behavior in Hong Kong and Malaysia and a nonprofit leader in Brazil. Her passion for intercultural competence (in coaching) led her to: Developing CQ Coaching Programs; 6 years, ICF Global Board of Directors and co-authoring “The Intersection of Culture and Ethics” for Law and Ethics in Coaching.
Awards include the Thomas Leonard Achievement Award: Honoring Vision and Innovation.
- Marilyn O’Hearne website
- Breaking Free from Bias: Preventing Costly Complaints, Conflict & Talent Loss. Order the book here
- Connect with Marilyn on LinkedIn
- … on Facebook
- … on Twitter
Cynder Niemela, MA, MBA is an award-winning author and internationally recognized expert in executive coaching and developing global teams. An American growing up in the Middle East and Europe, Cynder leverages her international experience working in the Middle East as one of a few women permitted to work in Saudi Arabia. First, as a marine biologist followed by years of developing leaders and teams for Saudi-ARAMCO. Mission: Interview people from 100 countries who are working with heart and mind for positive social impact.