New Generation Politician, Taylan Yildiz Returns to Turkey After a 10-year Stint at Google:
Prior to entering into politics, Taylan was at Google in Silicon Valley for 10 years. While at Google, he built novel measurement methodologies and managed a team of Ph.D. level statisticians who built these tools for Google and its advertisers.
Taylan was responsible for approving all global 3rd-party advertising research studies paid for by Google. He also led executive level meetings with top global advertisers to build custom and scalable research solutions on media planning, measurement and customer insights.
However, as Taylan’s career continued to flourish at Google, he grew increasingly concerned about the political situation in his home country, Turkey. Torn between his love of country and his life in the US, Taylan left his job at Google to take a leadership role with the Good Party in late-2017.
“BEING COURAGEOUS DOESN’T MEAN THAT YOU’RE NOT SCARED. IT MEANS THAT YOU ARE DOING IT IN SPITE OF THE FACT THAT YOU ARE SCARED.”
My interview with Taylan will be of benefit if you:
- Feel uninspired in your current role or career choice
- Are not aligned with your purpose at work and you want a fulfilling career
- Have a persistent call to follow your passion but don’t have the confidence to justify the sacrifice your commitment may require
- Want to know more about Turkey and its political environment
Highlights from the Show:
- What inspired him to leave his 10-year career at Google and return with his family to Turkey
- I loved Google, but I could use only 20% of who I am at Google. Now I’m using 100%. And, 100% is not enough. So I actually have to take drama classes so that I can use my 120% to learn new skills and be successful at this.
- The political environment in Turkey: ½ of the Turkish population is under 31 years old and ½ of the electorate is under 40 years old
- Behavioral Economics: Are there similarities between buying an expensive handbag and voting for or supporting a politician?
- US Politics and relations with Turkey: The impact of technology on democracy
Listen to my interview with Taylan by clicking on the green arrow below:
Or, download and subscribe to Inspired Wisdom on iTunes and Google Play:
Bio and Links:
Dr. Taylan Yildiz is from Istanbul, Turkey. He is the Deputy Chairman of the Good Party(İYİ Parti), where he is responsible for communications and technology affairs.
Prior to entering into politics, Taylan was at Google in Silicon Valley for 10 years. At Google, he built novel measurement methodologies and managed a team of Ph.D. level statisticians who built these tools for Google and its advertisers. Taylan was responsible for approving all global 3rd-party advertising research studies paid for by Google.
He also led executive level meetings with top global advertisers to build custom and scalable research solutions on media planning, measurement and customer insights.
Taylan is the founder of the industry-leading products DFA Experiments and DFA Brand Insights which have enabled many of the Doubleclick’s Fortune 500 advertisers to measure display campaign impact starting from awareness down to site visits and sales. These tools help advertisers precisely measure their return on advertising investment and get actionable insights on how to maximize this ROI. They also help to evaluate the effectiveness of new display advertising technologies such as remarketing, Doubleclick AdExchange, and YouTube Ads. Taylan also managed Google Active GRP, where he holds a patent on the methodology.
Taylan speaks on effectiveness measurement extensively at statistical as well as industry conferences. He delivered the closing keynote address ESOMAR Asia Pacific conference in Singapore in 2015.
Taylan gives regular guest lectures to MBA Students at Stanford Business School. He wrote a case study at Stanford on how display advertising can be measured through experimentation, which was also taught at Chicago Booth School of Business. This case helps the new generation of companies demand the right set of effectiveness metrics from the industry.
Connect with Taylan:
Cynder Niemela, MA, MBA is an award-winning author and internationally recognized expert in executive coaching and developing global teams. As a result of growing up in the Middle East and Europe, Cynder leverages her international experience working in the Middle East as one of a few women permitted to work in Saudi Arabia. First, as a marine biologist followed by years of developing leaders and teams for Saudi-ARAMCO. Mission: Interview 100 people from 100 countries who are working with heart and mind for positive social impact.